top of page

Accredited Certifications, Diplomas, and Courses for over 300,000 Technicians nationwide

The Business Of Beginning

Good Morning HVAChicks,

In my time here, I have had the pleasure of introducing many people (not just women) to this fine establishment we call SkillCat. The first question is always the same, "How do I know where to start???". It's probably the most important question we ask in our whole careers, let me explain.

In the HVAC industry there are MANY different divisions to choose from and SkillCat offers courses in MOST of them. First, we need to know what division(s) interest us. In my case, I really wanted to be a service tech. I had to begin by doing a little research about what requirements my state had for people coming into that division. The first thing I needed in my state was the EPA 608 license. This license is broken down into what we consider four groups, Types 1,2,3, and Universal.

Before I go any further, let me say that there are other parts of the trade you can go into without the EPA license such as sheet metal fabrication, becoming a helper, ductwork installation, service dispatch, etc.. but my advice will always be to get the license regardless of whether your state/division requires it or not. These licenses go with you from job to job and are a HUGE boost to any HVAC resume. Understanding which licenses you need for your division of interest is incredibly important so let me break them down to help you choose more easily.

Type 1: Type 1 systems are typically hermetically sealed (sealed at the factory) and contain LESS than 5lb of refrigerant. These are your window shakers, residential refrigerators, and freezers, etc. You will need this license if you're choosing to ONLY install/service these types of appliances, as you CANNOT work on anything larger with a Type 1 license.

Type 2: Type 2 systems are typically high-pressure coolant systems such as supermarket refrigeration systems, heat pumps, split units, etc. To work on these and the above-mentioned you would need BOTH your Type 1 and Type 2 licenses. Type 2 are your typical HVAC systems for residential and commercial use.

Type 3: Type 3 systems are what we in the industry affectionately call "Big Boys". These are the Low-pressure systems like industrial chillers.

Universal: The Universal EPA License covers ALL of the above. To reiterate, If you want to work on commercial coolers, you need Type 2 OR Universal and so on with all that I've mentioned.

Your EPA license is the key that unlocks the HVAC field for you. SkillCat is the only online platform that offers the courses and proctored exams for FREE so you've come to the right place. Let's summarize.

  • The first step will always be CHOOSING YOUR DIVISION(S)



HVAChicks we will, later on, get into tips and tricks to study for your exam and plenty of encouragement to fall back on when it seems tough, and SkillCat makes it SUPER easy to learn... the rest is up to you. YOU'VE GOT THIS. No more excuses, welcome to the first day of the rest of your life with a career you can count on :-)

BE KIND HVACHICKS <3 That's what sets us apart



bottom of page